- Pot Luck: Why should you do all of the cooking? Pot luck is the best way to divide up the work and still have a great meal. You could be in charge of the main dish and assign sides, appetizers and dessert. Additionally, ask everyone to bring along a bottle of their favorite wine or champagne to share.
- Finger Foods: If you don’t want to do a big sit down dinner then make it finger foods only. There are endless possibilities on this front. You could pick up a baked ham and set out buns for sandwiches, put together cheese and charcuterie platters, hot and cold dips, stuffed mushrooms, spiced nuts, bacon wrapped dates, even beef tenderloin sandwiches with horseradish mayo.
- Music: The best way to keep a party mood going is with music. Make sure you’ve updated your playlists on your MP3 player or make something new for the occasion. It’s always fun to include some songs that bring back memories, such as “Celebration” by Kool and the Gang.
- Games: Bring out some good board games, such as Apples to Apples or set up your own poker table with scotch and cigars for the men.
- Dance Party: While the men are busy betting and smoking at the poker table, clear the furniture and hang a disco ball for the ladies to dance. You can even buy a strobe light and a couple of small spotlights to add to the ambience.
- Rent a Hot Tub: This is an activity that is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Check your local yellow pages for rental companies. You’ll need at least 24 hours for the water to get to the right temperature, so plan on having the tub delivered a day before your event. You will also need an outdoor power source or access to power via a heavy duty outdoor extension cord. Make sure to have plenty of beach towels and plastic cups available. Bringing glass in the hot tub could end disastrously.
No matter how you choose to ring in 2011, make sure you don’t drink and drive or allow your friends to drink and drive. Have a designated driver or call a cab. After a fun filled evening with friends, you want to make sure that everyone makes it home safely.